Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• Robbie Peters - Double Trouble (1968)
• Peter Posa - The White Rabbit (1964)
• Dig Richards - Love Express (1963)
• The Virgil Brothers - Here I Am (1968)
• Dove - Magic To Do (1974)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• Billy Thorpe - The Word For Today
• Pastoral Symphony - Love Machine
• Autumn - Song To Raymondo
• Donna Gaye - Untrue, Unfaithful
• Johnny Young - Cara-Lyn
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT
In 1964 he recorded a song that would become a #1 hit for a major Australian pop star of the 60s.
He might be obscure to many Australians, but in America he is known as a football star of the 50s and 60s.
He has acted in many TV series, and is known well enough to have appeared as himself in an episode of The Simpsons
As a bodyguard for Robert Kennedy, he subdued and disarmed Kennedy's assassin in 1968.
You might not know him, but you probably know the song if you were listening to Australian pop music in 1965. More here.
• David Kent's Australian Chart Books (+ new albums book) 
• Album Liner Notes 
• Historic London record label addresses 
• Go-Set magazine: blog by David M. Kent 
• Soundscapes: essays on media culture 
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Development: Lachlan Nuttall. Graphics: Gina Nuttall.
©Lyn Nuttall 2004-2019
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and
Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...