Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• Johnny Devlin - Hey Little Angel (1961)
• Lynne Fletcher - You Say Pretty Words (1965)
• Tony Shepp - Come To Your Window (1966)
• Jimmie Murphy - Moonlit Night (1963)
Col Joye - (Making Love On A) Moonlit Night (1960)
• Kelly Green - So What (1963)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• Billy Adams - Dancing In Your Eyes
• John J. Francis - Play Mumma, Sing Me A Song
Rumour - Play Mama Play
Jeff Hilder - Play Mama Play
Digby Richards - Play Momma Play
• Johnny O'Keefe - You Excite Me
• Maple Lace - Gimme Dat Ding
Frankie Davidson - Gimme Dat Ding
• Debbie Byrne - He's A Rebel
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT: SONNY WILLIAMS
Country music artist Sonny Williams was probably little known outside of Wisconsin. The singer-songwriter-guitarist was a hard-working live performer over many years in Milwaukee and other cities.
In 1958 he released a song by Chicago songwriter Frank McNulty, recorded with an all-star studio band in Nashville. It wasn't a hit for Sonny, although it charted modestly in Milwaukee when he re-recorded it there in 1973.
In Australia Col Joye recorded the song for his first single in 1959. It was one of Col's biggest hits, now a classic Australian oldie.
Find out more at this page.
• Johnny Mercer, lyricist and composer: song database
• Françoise Hardy: cover versions by her, and her songs covered
• Australian 45rpm Revolution: history by Jordie Kilby
• P.F. Sloan & Jeff Barri: a list at 45cat.com
• A Trip to Toytown: retrospectively named pop sub-genre
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Development: Lachlan Nuttall. Graphics: Gina Nuttall.
©Lyn Nuttall 2004-2020
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and
Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...