Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• Diana Trask - Going Steady (1958) + UPDATED
• Johnny Devlin - Hey Little Angel (1961)
• Lynne Fletcher - You Say Pretty Words (1965)
• Tony Shepp - Come To Your Window (1966)
• Jimmie Murphy - Moonlit Night (1963)
Col Joye - (Making Love On A) Moonlit Night (1960)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• The Thunderbirds - Wild Weekend 4 VERSIONS ADDED
• Ray Columbus & The Invaders - C'mon And Swim
• Chaos & Co - It Was You
• Billy Adams - Dancing In Your Eyes
• John J. Francis - Play Mumma, Sing Me A Song
Rumour - Play Mama Play
Jeff Hilder - Play Mama Play ADDED
Digby Richards - Play Momma Play
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT:
WILLY & RUTH
Willy & Ruth recorded the original version of Come A Little Bit Closer (1954), a well-known oldie in Australia through the local hit version by The Delltones (1959).
Come A Little Bit Closer was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. It was the first release on their own label, Spark.
Also on Spark soon after was Willy & Ruth's Love Me (1954), later a hit for Elvis Presley, also written by Leiber & Stoller.
Willy and Ruth were both in a gospel quintet called The Honey Bears who were recording for Spark. Willy sang lead, and Ruth was married to the bass singer.
Willy went on to release some records of his own, but nothing more seems to be known about Ruth, not even her surname.
Maybe someone will read this and let us know more. In the meantime, see the history of the song at this page.
• Australian A.M. Radio History by Bruce Carty
• Johnny Mercer, lyricist and composer: song database
• Françoise Hardy: cover versions by her, and her songs covered
• Australian 45rpm Revolution: history by Jordie Kilby
• P.F. Sloan & Jeff Barri: a list at 45cat.com
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Technical: Lachlan Nuttall. Design: Gina Nuttall.
©Lyn Nuttall 2004-2020
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and
Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...