Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• Johnny Devlin - Hey Little Angel (1961)
• Lynne Fletcher - You Say Pretty Words (1965)
• Tony Shepp - Come To Your Window (1966)
• Jimmie Murphy - Moonlit Night (1963)
Col Joye - (Making Love On A) Moonlit Night (1960)
• Kelly Green - So What (1963)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• Debbie Byrne - He's A Rebel
• Jennifer Ryall - Everything's Alright
+ Jennifer Ryall - Summer Song + FURTHER UPDATES
• The Delltones - Come A Little Bit Closer
• Red Perksey Orchestra, Ray Dickson - Smiley + FURTHER UPDATES
• Col Joye - Bye Bye Baby (Goodbye)
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT:
THE SOUND JUDGMENT
This is Joe McGovern, a US college athlete who fronted The Sound Judgment. They were an eight-piece band of students from Penn State University, joined by one of their instructors.
Some of the band members quit their studies when their first and only single was released in 1968. The single went nowhere in the USA, and lead singer McGovern continued performing as Cody Marshall.
Later in the same year, in Australia, The Strangers released a rearranged version that charted in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth. It is now a fondly remembered oldie in Australia, especially in The Strangers' home city of Melbourne where it charted at #8. More about the song here.
• Françoise Hardy: cover versions by her, and her songs covered• Australian 45rpm Revolution: history by Jordie Kilby
• P.F. Sloan & Jeff Barri: a list at 45cat.com
• A Trip to Toytown: retrospectively named pop sub-genre
• Bomp! magazine 1973-1979
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Development: Lachlan Nuttall. Graphics: Gina Nuttall.
©Lyn Nuttall 2004-2020
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and
Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...