Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• Johnny Rebb - Ain't I'm A Dog (1963)
• The Bay City Union - Mary, Mary (1968, wr. Nesmith)
• The Clik - Mary, Mary (1970, wr. Cane)
+ Normie Rowe - Mary, Mary (1966, wr. Shaw-Keene-Yorke)
• Robert Helpmann - Surfer Doll (1964) + UPDATED
• Yvonne Barrett - Send Her Away (1966)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• Mr George - Lazy Susan
• Larry's Rebels > Bay City Union - Mo'reen + FURTHER UPDATES
• Johnny Farnham - Sadie (The Cleaning Lady)
• Larry's Rebels - Do What You Gotta Do
• De Kroo Bros - (And Her) Name Is Scarlet EXCLUSIVE:
BIOGRAPHY & DISCOGRAPHY FOR ORIGINAL SINGER BOB WILSON
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT
In 1959 this Hawaiian singer, little-known outside his home state, recorded the original version of a song that became one of Johnny O'Keefe's biggest hits and best remembered oldies.
JO'K heard the song from one of its co-writers, an American who was touring Australia in the band of Tommy Sands. It had been written in Hawaii, en route to Australia.
What was the Australian hit song that this singer from Hawaii originated? More here.
NEW TO THE LINKS PAGE
• Swedish Beat & Psych: 60s music blog from Sweden.
• Best Ever Albums: aggregation from 34,000(!) different lists
• Internet Beatles Album: treasure trove at beatlesagain.com
• TuneFind: songs on TV and film soundtracks
• 100 songs that changed history, from Time Out magazine
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Development: Lachlan Nuttall. Graphics: Gina Nuttall.
© Lyn Nuttall 2004-2018
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...